Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Book Review-Fireside Folklore, Volume I

Title: Fireside Folklore, Volume I
Author: Sherri Brake
Published: 2012 by Raven Rock
Amazon Info: Fireside Folklore

Anyone who knows me or reads this blog knows that I love, love, love collecting paranormal books, especially ones pertaining to West Virginia, and this book offered me another chance to add to my growing library!  I picked it up at History Day last Thursday and finished it within a day or so.

This is a slender volume, but its packed with plenty of West Virginia ghostlore, including plenty of popular haunts, some lesser known haunts and personal experiences of the author, and even some interesting folklore.  There are 24 chapters, each covering a different story...but each one of these chapters is simply a re-print of the author's column in Two-Lane Livin' Magazine, and more often than not are stories that anyone familiar with the popular early ghost books of WV has probably already heard.

That's not to say I dis-liked the book; I actually quite enjoyed it.  However, after reading the author's book on the WV State Penitentiary, I was expecting something with a little more research.  Either way, this is a great introductory book into some of West Virginia's finest legends.  There are some annoying editing errors, but if you can overlook them, you're in for a real treat...a quick, light read on my personal favorite subject!  I'm looking forward to the next volume!

No comments:

Post a Comment