Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Reese's Run Rd. Lumberport

About four years (2005) ago I was dating a guy who lived in the small town of Lumberport, WV, located just outside of Bridgeport in Harrison County.  One night while out driving, he took me to a local legend tripping spot called Reeses Run Road.  Reeses Run Road is a small back hollow, located closer to the town of Robey, and branches off from the section of Rt. 19 called Crooked Run.

At the time, I didn't realize that this area of country had a sinister reputation, and thus, had become a popular hang out for the younger crowd in search of a good scare.

The story I was told was that a few years prior, a girl was beaten and abused at a Harrison County apartment, and then taken out to a specific spot off this road, assaulted some more, shot in the head, and then left for dead by her boyfriend and possibly at least two other people.  We pulled into a small parking area near a large tree, and I was told this was where her body was found.

The area did give off a creepy vibe, and the entire time we were out there, all I wanted to do was get back to civilization!  It really did feel like someone was out there watching our every move.  A thick blanket of fog didn't help matters.

Busy with other things, and separating from this guy a few months later, I pretty much forgot about Reeses Run and moved on.  Then, I happened to stumble upon a viewer submission of a haunted location on a popular website...and the location just happened to be Reeses Run Road!

My interest again sparked, I did some minor digging into the legend and found out some interesting things.  I found about 5 different versions of the story I had been told, but they all basically followed the same format.  In one legend, the girl was taken here and beaten, and then later murdered in an apartment in the Fairmont area.  Another legend states that the girl was a teenager out on a date with her boyfriend, and was parked near a tree off this road--a popular make out spot in the mid-1990s.  The boyfriend asked her if she wanted to see something cool...so she said yes, and he shot her in the face and dumped her body.  The boyfriend called friends to confess, and then went to an apartment in Shinnston where he committed suicide.

Another common thread I've found in all these stories is that the girl's name seems to be Debbie Buck.  Interestingly, I did manage to find a listing in the Lumberport directory for a Debbie Buck, aged 52.  As of this date, however, I have not been able to find any documentation online about a murder in this area, or if there is a death certificate for another Debbie Buck in the county.

If you have any additional information, please pass it along!

UPDATE:  I have received numerous emails from friends, family, and members of the community who have first hand knowledge of this incident and that it did happen.  I've even received an email from an EMS worker who responded that night.  Thank you, everyone, for your help, and please see my comments on this story, below!

18 comments:

  1. Thank you to several readers over the years who remember this story, and were personal acquaintances of the deceased. Each has provided additional details on the story. This is a tragic event...one that ended in a beautiful life being cut short. While it is important from a folkloric aspect to document the local legends, more importantly, we must remember and respect those involved. Thanks, -Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie Buck was my best friend Lindsay's older sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow. Such a tragic event and one that is still fresh in so many people's minds.

      Delete
  3. Ive been to the spot its not to far from my grandpas house it does feel like ur being watched

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so. I don't get spooked too often, but I was definitely uncomfortable in that area and wanted to leave as soon as possible. Thanks for stopping by the blog and commenting!

      Delete
  4. Was the murder ever solved?

    ReplyDelete
  5. also our families are close. she was afraid he would kill her if they broke up. he was chased off at gun point several times. her mothers name was not buck but hall. there was three people thier when he killed her. she was not abused. they left her house went to the next hollow and were shooting guns. she went to setup a target for him and when she turn to come back he shot her threatend his friends and drove away. his name was brian workman.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haunted is a very subjective word. In the paranormal word, we sometimes use the term to denote anything related to a paranormal experience, but technically it means an event that is repeated, over and over. I don't know whether or not this place is haunted or not...nor whether or not there is actually anything paranormal involved. I would, however, agree that tragic events often leave an imprint on a location and that there are some people, for whatever reason, can tap into these energies and know something just isn't right. Thank you for sharing your comments on this tragic event.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i found this story to be very interesting and wanted to document about it for a class. Is there an address i can follow to get to this area?

    ReplyDelete
  8. No there is not. I own the property now and I will press charges on anybody caught on my land without permission

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for saying this, the mother of this poor soul is my friend

      Delete
  9. Do you know if this is the same Debbie Buck that was married to Mike Buck?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. She was 15 years old. It's a very tragic story. I grew up in Shinnston and remember when this happened. She was friends with my cousin. I think it still might be a little too fresh for friends and family to be talked about like it's a legend. It happened in the 90s. It really wasn't THAT long ago. I think she was terrorized before she was killed, as in, she was in a domestic violence situation that she couldn't get out. If anyone knows what that is like, it is akin to torture. So, please remember to be sensitive when discussing this. I do have one detail I can add to the story and that is the house that Brian Workman eventually killed himself in is directly across from the old Shinnston Grade School on Station Street. I believe that it was still open as a school at the time.

      Delete
  10. I would like to do some more research into this. Does anyone know how i can find any newspaper articles?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Her mother is like an aunt to me and is my late dad’s best friend. I believe this should be removed. She’s in heaven, not on earth, please stop digging for information. If you knew the family, you would respect that. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  12. This happened before the internet and social media. I was alive when it happened and best friends with Debbie's best friend. It did Happen.... the this story is accurate: the girl was a teenager out on a date with her boyfriend, and was parked near a tree off this road--a popular make out spot in the mid-1990s. The boyfriend asked her if she wanted to see something cool...so she said yes, and he shot her in the face and dumped her body. The boyfriend called friends to confess, and then went to an apartment in Shinnston where he committed suicide.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A few years ago it was repeated there was a fight between a girl and her boyfriend and her boyfriend was shot and killed buy another guy at the beginning of Reese's run rd on robeymines side the guy that died was a great friend of mine so was the girl but the guy that shot him is a shady person Delbert powers is who was killed summer was his girlfriend's name and Jeffery Smith is the one who shot him and got away with it

    ReplyDelete